Karari Diatomaceous Earth Coaster – Square white
The Karari brand Diatomaceous Earth Coaster is like a cool magic trick to show off. The coaster is made from diatomaceous earth, a fine powder made from diatoms (a type of fossilized phytoplankton), which like magic instantly soaks up moisture from the surface and dries itself out right in front of your eyes.
Place a glass on the coaster and you can be sure the table surface will not get wet.
The moisture absorbing top side has the ‘Karai’ logo embossed. The base of the coaster is silicone coated to make it waterproof, preventing moisture from seeping through to the table surface.
The Karari Diatomaceous Earth Coasters comes in 2 colours, white or grey, and in 3 different shapes, square, circle or hexagon.
– Check the coaster is flat and not uneven, and check for cracks before use.
– Wash with water only. Do not use soap or washing detergent.
– After washing, dry in a microwave oven or leave to dry naturally.
– Diatomaceous Earth is fragile. Please handle with care.
– Powder may appear on the surface. The powder is a safe natural material, and does not affect the absorption properties of the coaster.
– Small dents and scratches from use does not affect the absorption properties of the coaster.
– Do not put coaster on top of surfaces that scratch easily.
– Keep out of reach of children.
– Do not soak in water for long periods of time as it leads to degradation of the material.
Product name: Karari 珪藻土コースター・スクエア（ホワイト）- (Karari keisoudo ko-suta- sukuea howaito – Karari Diatomaceous Earth Coaster – Square white)
Product code: 4903288028154
Company: Honesty K.K.
Material: Diatomaceous Earth, Silicone coated base.
Size: 90 (W) x 90 (D) × 8 (H) mm
Made in China, Designed in Japan.
Price: about 900 yen + tax
The Diatomaceous Earth products have recently been popular in Japan, especially Diatomaceous Earth bath mats. The water absorption properties are amazing, it really does soak up immediately, and dries within minutes leaving no stains behind.
However, as a coaster, it is quite expensive for 1 piece (there are cheaper types, and buying sets of 5 to 10 make them cheaper per piece), and to me, it feels like a bathroom tile more than a coaster. And you can’t through this around, you definitely will injure someone.
It’s a nice party trick or something to show off, but I don’t think I will be using it much around the home.