Zoo Silica Gel Desiccant – Hippo
This small pink hippo from Towa Co., Ltd is a compact silica gel desiccant, which absorbs moisture, keeping foods like pasta fresh and dry.
The Silica Gel Desiccant can be placed directly into food stored in resealable bags or air-tight jars to keep the food dry. When the desiccant has absorbed moisture, it can be reactivated in a microwave oven to be reused (reactivated approximately 10 times).
The Zoo series Silica Gel Desiccant comes in three different shapes; an orange camel, pink hippo and blue bear.
How to use
– Place desiccant directly into food stored in resealable bag or air-tight jar.
– The desiccant can absorb up to 1.8 litres of moisture.
– Reactivate the desiccant in a microwave, once a month.
– Be very careful of the desiccant after it is reactivated in the microwave, it will be very hot. Leave the desiccant to cool down before use.
– Use only a microwave to reactivate the desiccant.
– If the desiccant is dirtied, wipe gently with a damp cloth. Do not wash in water.
– Place desiccant in a heat-resistant dish when reactivating.
– Heat in a 500W microwave oven for 1 minute.
– The desiccant may crack if heated at a high power setting (750W and above).
– Small parts from the product will cause no harm if it enters the mouth, as the materials used in the product has passed Food Safety Inspection Act. However, if small parts of the product does enter the mouth, spit it out and rinse copiously with water at once.
– Do not use in foods that contain high water or oils content. Do not use in sea salts as sea salts contain water, and can damage the product.
– Do not use in sugar as dried sugar can harden and form lumps.
– Foods with strong colours or smells may transfer to the product.
– If used too often, the product may absorb other liquids, which may cause clogging and colour of the product to change, resulting in lower moisture absorption. If product colour has changed too much, please replace with a new product.
– Keep out of reach of children. Keep away from children’s mouth.
– Dropping or strong impact may crack the product.
– Do not use the product for any purpose other than as originally intended.
– Follow local disposal guidelines for disposal.
Product name: Zooシリカゲル乾燥剤かば（Zoo shirikageru kansouzai kaba – Zoo Silica Gel Desiccant Hippo）
Model number: 15029
Product code: 4901983150293
Company: Towa Co., Ltd
Size: 72 (W) × 5 (D) 43 (H) mm
Materials: Type A Silica Gel, pulp
Made in Japan
Price: about 500 yen + tax
We saw this cute pink hippo at the supermarket and my wife wanted to give it a try.
It seems simple to use, just pop it in with the food, and let it absorb the moisture. And since it can be used several times, one hippo may last a couple of months to a year (if reactivated 10 times).
It also looks nice as an kitchen interior item if it’s used in a glass jar, like the examples on the packaging. Maybe restaurants or cafes can use them as display items.